Pages

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Shabby Chic Valentine






Life's little celebrations can be like taking a little vacation from yourself. By that I mean that the regular world requires decisions and commitments toward a decorating style. When you buy a  certain couch or table, say, or a lamp, you are making assertions about a way of living. But a special occasion can be the perfect time to indulge those whims that never see daylight.




I don't decorate much like Rachel Ashwell, but I appreciate the beauty of her style. Valentines Day gives me a good excuse to indulge her ultra romantic way of putting things together.




When I went to make my Valentines box (from a shoe box) I knew I wanted soft and sweet. I took it one step at a time starting with a pastel wall paper I picked up ages ago from a thrift store (probably by Laura Ashley, another favorite), and added things from there.









The tattered cotton strips (heart strings) are a nod to both Rachel's pin bouquets and her dream catchers that I saw when I visited her shop last summer.




Those posts are here, here, and here.




I then added a few cut out papers, paper doilies, stamps, and a different wall paper scrap with a larger rose motif. I wanted my box to be spare and simple like Rachel's style. But you can keep adding and adding to a box like this.




I was thrilled to pull out this Rachel blue rhinestone pin from my vintage jewelry stash! The key motif is perfect! I just pinned it on. 



A small folded envelope with a heart punch from Michael's craft store.















A ribbon and more doilies wrapped around the bottom, and voila! Happy Valentine's day!



















A box like this might be a fun prop for a Valentine Tea or dessert table, or even for serving up treats inside! Tell everybody to bring you a Valentine! *smile* Is that Chic? Or just Shabby?

Thank you, Rachel, for all the inspiration!
Hope y'all have a great week!

Jacqueline

Linked to






21 comments:

  1. Very lovely. Sometimes it just feels so nice to go all soft and super girlie.

    Your pics are gorgeous and really do the trick!

    Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I am in love with that beautiful jeweled key,it is all sooooo romantic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great idea for the ladies.
    Your valentines box looks so lovely.
    I hope that you get lots of lovely cards.
    happy monday Jacqueline..
    val

    ReplyDelete
  4. So delicate and sweet :-) Each detail is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jacqueline, I just stopped by for my dose of pure beauty and loveliness you always seem to be able to create so effortlessly! Very chic!!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reminds me of elementary school when we would exchange Valentines. Very sweet. Love Shabby Chic....

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sweet and feminine... luv the 'heart strings' :-)
    Cheers, Gee

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's so lovely and feminine, Jacqueline. (I love that pin.) I hope it gets filled with Valentine treats and sweets!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving that blue key pin, how unique! The soft blue of that cup is so pretty. You channeled Rachel well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How beautiful and I just love that key pin!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything is so soft, lovely, feminine, romantic...love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So lovely! Great idea! I love the wallpaper roses, and the mug matches so well. Your valentine box brings back memories of making them for school when a little girl. May have to make one! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So pretty, Jacqueline. I hope you can fill your valentine's box chuck full of love and happiness and pretty things....Happy Monday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jacqueline,
    You have stolen my heart, dear friend, with your Shabby Chic Romantic Valentine Day Box!
    I am smitten!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it all, Jacqueline! So very pretty!
    Have a wonderful week,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  16. very sweet, jacqueline:) a lovely place to put your treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is just so pretty. Your photos are all so soft and romantic. Love the teacup too.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi J,
    Sweet perfection! I love the heart springs and the key to your heart strings in divine!! Wallpaper, paper doilys... the icing on the cake:-) Oh and those roses, ahhh!
    Hugs,
    Bella

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is perfectly Shabby Chic - I only have one room that gets that kind of treatment - love that teacup!
    Hugs,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous! I love the way you play with beautiful things. '-)

    ReplyDelete

  21. well, if you have a box like that to put them in, it's CHIC!!!!!
    Blessings,
    J

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You may also comment at jqbaros@gmail.com. Thank you!